Sunday, September 21, 2008

not talking about sex

He doesn't talk about sex. He talks about everything that isn't sex and all the time it is there at the centre of things, sex like a beating heart and him reaching out but never tearing it from the flesh of his polite writing.

I talk about sex. I reach in, blood up to my elbows, all the messy secretions of the act a stain on my reputation. I feel about in the dark body of my life and I find nothing. No beating heart, no heart at all. I emerge from my sexual scramblings and I am holding nothing but loneliness.

This is the difference between the two of us. We talk at cross purposes, but still, we talk, which makes me less lonely and him a small step closer to sex.

3 comments:

Christopher said...

Cake is still better.

Krissy Kneen said...

or perhaps a combination of the two?

Juniper said...

Just so long as it is not chocolate cake. I don't get the chocalate - sex thing. Maybe something with syrup like an orange and almond cake - moist, sweet and full of nuts.