Wednesday, January 14, 2009

shy girls

When I am a shy girl I will say nothing and look quite wise as a result of it. People will say "she is deep" and spend time trying to get to know me. I will be shrouded by mystique. Nil by mouth. Barely any sustenance going in and to get something out of it is like pulling teeth. I will be pale and luminous and wear little summer print dresses in duck egg blue. I will leave so much space that people will be unafraid to stare at me. When I am spoken to I will look away, or giggle prettily even if I do not understand the joke. I will be good at building other people's egos because I have none of my own to speak of.

I will not necessarily be sexier because of this, but people will come closer, expend more energy for me. They will carry my bags and buy me drinks and want to tell me little secrets which I will dutifully keep. I will make no choices with my own affections. Shy girls do not pick they are picked, and wilt in time. I will therefore not pick you and cling to the idea of you as if you were something particularly special. When I am a shy girl I will float in the wake of whoever tries to keep me. I will drift, as diaphanous as cheesecloth, as pale and pretty as ice in the process of melting.

No comments: