Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bear Sex

At our staff meeting we talked about bear sex.

Sex with a bear.

On gchat with a fellow worker, sex with a goat was mentioned, and a horse.

I can see a pattern emerging.

There is something about sex with animals that I haven't quite got a grasp on. I was planning a short story about this from the perspective of a dog. The fact that I have never written more than a few sentences is telling. I can't seem to find the heart of it. What are we learning from this sex with warm blooded creatures of a different kind? Are we learning how to experience intimacy? The lack of communication is an interesting enough place to start. How do you tell this bear that you want to be hugged by it. How does the bear tell you when it does not what to be hugged.

I am sure there are many papers and books about the ethics of this and if I could be bothered I could read them, but for now, because I am tired, I am happy enough to just discuss this at the staff meeting, laugh for a moment, smile, because it is the cute sci-fi boys who have initiated this conversation. I spend a pleasant moment thinking about the cute sci-fi booys copulating with a bear. Then we have moved on to shelves that are over-stocked and the missing bag for the vaccum cleaner. The world returns to normal.

1 comment:

Steve Capelin said...

Origin of the word bear hug; I can't bear you to hug me.
People do it doggie style, I wonder what bear style would be? or giraffe style or could possum magic really be that we need to protect the little ones from.
I'd better stop before I can't help my cliches from taking over.
What's a fur ball in this context?
Capo (aka little hat)