Saturday, November 1, 2008

H is for Hetero and Homo

I was sitting in the beer garden. I was with my gay male friend. There were a group of Dykes at the table next to us.

"Heteros." It was just a word, but soon it became a chant and we stood and we left. I didn't want to leave. I was young and fired up and I wanted to down my vodka and parade a string of my female lovers before them. I was reminded of the times that I had been with gay men, or with women at a straight bar. The kind of abuse that would be thrown in their direction.

Hetero and Homo. A way of defining sexual identities that are fluid and flexible. What if he falls in love with him who is in love with her. It is a tricky thing to label people by their current sexuaal inclination, because there will always be a tomorrow and tomorrow.

No comments: