Saturday, October 11, 2008

missing post

I thought I had written a post but I only imagined it. If you thought you had seen it then you imagined it too. It is that old question of the nature of reality which is a question without an answer and it could go on and on if we didn't snap out of it and get on with it.

I saw a man climbing into a boat in the middle of the river. It was dusk. He had supplies. I wanted to be him. I wanted to be climbing onto my boat in the middle of the river with all that water between me and any other human being. I thought there might be blue cheese and crackers in his plastic bag. I thought he might sit there in the dark with his wine and his cheese and his own company. Then he might hoist the sail and ease out into the river in the middle of the night, looking for the ocean.

On the shore a man rode a bicycle in the dark, heaving it up the banks towards the rich peoples houses. I liked him. I saw another man waking in the dark with a guitar on his back. I liked him too.

I walked.

The two men met up, sat down together, talked and laughed and I found I was disappointed by this. I preferred the man on the boat but he was now out of sight, past the bend in the river. I wondered if I should turn around and walk back past him one last time.

No comments: